Boy this is going to be a hard one to type. Last week we had a sonogram appt. to check all of the baby's organs and make sure everything was coming along ok. Well, we found out at that appt. that it was possible that the baby may have a heart defect. Words couldn't describe how that made me feel. The doctor's were so cold when they told me and they made me feel like our baby was going to die the next day. They set us up to see a pediatric cardiologist at Johns Hopkins for today.
It was confirmed today that our baby has VSD (Ventricle Septal Defect). Basically it means there is a hole in the wall that separates the right and left ventricles. The doctor we had at Hopkins was very informative, and very nice..she made us feel very comfortable with every question we had for her (unlike those other mean, heartless doctors that first informed us about this).
She told us this is the most common heart defect found in infants. If the hole is small enough, it will close on it's on. However, if it's too big, they will perform heart surgery. Either way, once the hole is closed, the child should live a normal, healthy life. Our doctor did mention that the hole in our baby's heart looked fairly large so surgery might be needed, but who knows...it might get smaller as time goes by.
We have to be really strong for this baby, she needs us more than anything. So, I'm not stressing. I just know that she will be taken care of by some of the greatest doctors in the country at Johns Hopkins Hospital. I've been online researching this all evening and all that I've read sounds hopeful. It just takes away from the happiness of being pregnant.
I always hear people say they just want thier baby's to be healthy with all 10 fingers and all 10 toes. I think I would give up my baby's fingers and toes as long as she had a healthy heart.
Anyways, we'll hope for the best. Hope that the hole gets smaller and hope that she's being brave like her mommy and daddy are trying their hardest to be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment