Monday, November 5, 2007

Worried about baby

Lately I've been feeling very worried about the baby. After speaking with a few other pregnant people, I've found out that they have all heard their baby's heartbeat and they all heard it at about 7 or 8 weeks into their pregnancy. I went to my doctor's at 9 weeks, and we didn't get to hear it. My doctor told me not to worry, that it was still early. But, after hearing that other's have heard the heartbeat and they were earlier than 9 weeks had me a little concerned.

On top of that, I've been having awful dreams that involve death. They have been so terrible and I've woken up in complete panic that the dreams were real. And last night I was watching the show "Brothers and Sisters" and one of the characters is pregnant. Well, in the show she went for her first sonogram and the baby's heart wasn't beating. Oh my goodness I sobbed like a baby watching that.

My nausea has also gotten better. It still bothers me at times, but not anywhere close to how bad it was a few weeks ago. I feel like the only symptoms I have now is extreme exhaustion and I'm still very sensitive to certain smells (which in turn makes me sick sometimes). So, I feel like when I was feeling sick all of the time, I really felt pregnant.

I'm naturally a person that worries about things a lot, but this, I just can't push aside. I have a sonogram scheduled for the 14th, but I don't think I can wait that long. A friend of mine told me that if I'm that worried, I should call my doctor to see if they can schedule the sonogram sooner. I'm now thinking I might do that, just so I can have some of peace of mind.

Jamaar is so positive about things. He doesn't think I should be so worried. He says everyone is different and the doctor only spent about 30 seconds looking for the heartbeat at my last appt. He wishes I wasn't so worried about it....I wish I wasn't so worried about it either.

To add to the worrying my sonogram appt. is an NT Scan where they check the baby for Downs Syndrome. So, like I'm not worried enough, that test is just adding to the things I'm worried about.

I should say that I'm making it sound like I'm comparing my pregnancy to 50 other women. I'm really only comparing it to 3 other pregnant women. And I know that Jamaar is right. Everyone is different and the doctor didn't spend long listening for the heartbeat. But, I still think I may call my doctor tomorrow.

Sorry for all of the venting. I just feel like I've been keeping my worrying thoughts to myself and I just needed to share them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have two kids and I have to tell you that every pregnancy is different. When it's early in the pregnancy, it can be very difficult to hear the heartbeat because the baby is still so tiny. If they're not in the right position or turned a certain way, you might not hear it. I read your recent blog and saw that you did hear it and were relieved, good. The docs are going to put you through a ton of tests for everything imaginable, it can be stressful. If your hospital offers child birth classes they're a great idea. I went through them with both of my pregnancies and they explain everything from testing to what's going to happen depending on your labor. It really puts your mind at ease. Good luck!