Monday, October 15, 2007

To report or not report

I was put in a very awkward position today with one of my teachers at work. Let's just call her Jill. Jill has 3 children and is pregnant with her fourth. She doesn't know any of the children's fathers except for the one she is pregnant with now. Jill also does not have much of an education. I often wonder how she even got a job at a preschool. She can read basic words to get by, but I've heard her try to read children's books and she really struggled reading the words.

So, that's just a brief background on her. I was due in to work at 10am today and my phone started ringing around 8:30. It was my Asst. Director. She told me that Jill's 2 year-old daughter had been left in her apartment alone. She told Jill she could leave so that she could go get her. Jill instead walked from classroom to classroom retelling her story about how her boyfriend left her 2 year-old daughter in the house by herself.

I immediately left my house and drove to work. When I arrived in the parking lot, one of our other teachers was trying to talk to Jill and convince her to get in her car (Jill takes the bus to and from work). This teacher was offering her a ride, so that she could get to her daughter faster. Jill kept telling the teacher that she just wanted to "walk it off" and that she didn't want a ride.

I told her she needed to get in the car, or I would call the police to report that her daughter is in the house by herself. Well that did the trick she got in the car and the teacher drove her home.

My problem is what should I do? This is not the first time that she has put her child in danger and it is usually due to the people that she associates with. I have offered her a spot at our school for her daughter with a really good discount (she would only pay $25/week) three times. All three times she has said no. I'm guessing it's because her two older children used to come to our school and so many teacher's called Child Protective Services on her because the children were always filthy. So, now I'm stuck with should I call Child Protective Services? It's part of my job as the director to keep all children safe at all times. Another director about a year ago was fired for not reporting a child neglect case to CPS.

I really don't want to do this to her, but I feel like enough is enough. She needs to get her priorities together and get her so called friends out of the picture. This was her boyfriend that left her child in the house!!! What's wrong with this picture?!

I was thinking about making her decide: Either bring her child to work with her where I know she will be taken care of by all of us, or find another job. But, is that really my place to do that?

Also her 2 older children are twins and are 8 years old. They just started Kindergarten this year (3 years late) because she didn't know how to enroll them in school. One of our teachers actually enrolled them for her. She just seems so helpless!

2 comments:

Jefferson said...

This is why I said you should start a blog.

I think you should give her an ultimatum. Tell her she should bring the child to work, or you will report her to CPS.

That's my 2 cents.

Unknown said...

Yeah, I think you should give her the ultimatum. Isn't it your place to do such a thing since you're the director? Also, how did she get a job working with kids if she can't even handle her own?

Good luck!